It"s a Crazy Wonderful Life

This is a blog about my family and the crazy life in the Sims Household. We have 5 children, ranging from 14 to 5, and seem to be going in all different directions sometimes. The purpose of this blog is to help keep our friends and family up to date on what is going on in our lives.

Monday, January 24, 2011

January update...

It's been a couple of weeks, so I thought I would spend a few minutes and update the blog. 

Early this month I took the kids in for their 6 month dental check-ups and cleanings.  I am always scared as we head int to theses appointments because it seems that our boys have really bad teeth.  As much we try to make sure they brush twice a day, we have over time between Ryan and Jacob had to do several crowns, a few extractions, and lots of fillings.  This time however was a really good trip: only one small cavity for Jacob.  Hooray!!!  When you figure how many teeth that is between all five of the kids, having only one small cavity is a huge sucess.

 Also the beginning of the month I got a new neice.  Finally a baby girl born to one of my brothers.  This is actually the first baby girl born in our family who will have the name Pierce in like 25 years.  Including with Uncle Keith's family.  I really didn't think it was going to ever happen.  Cousin John and Lindsey have 4 boys, Kevin has 4 boys, Steve has 1 boy, I really thought there was a curse or something on the boys of our family.  Somehow, Jeff broke it though, and maybe others will benefit later on and get girls too.  Anyway, Hailey Shirlene Pierce (middle name of course after our mom) was born on January 3rd at 12:16 pm.  She wighed 7 pounds 15 oz. and was 19.5 inches long. 
She is sooooooo BEAUTIFUL!!!!  Congrats again to Jeff and Erika!
On the 11th, we finally had Jacob's birthday party that had to be resceduled when we got stranded in the snow storm in Utah after the funeral.  He was so excited to have so many of his friends come over to our house for a movie on the big screen in the basement.  They watched Despicable Me which is a really cute animated film.  I had made some really cute invites for the party (shown on left).  I also bought them all movie theatre sized candy and some popcorn that I put in popcorn bags and each of them got a water bottle.  It was a huge success.  We also had pizza and cupcakes. The kids had a blast and Jacob really enjoyed the day.

The kids, and Mike had a day off on the 17th for Martin Luther King Junior day.  It was so nice to have Mike home again for a holiday.  He and I started the day by going to Home Depot (one of my favorite places) and buying wood to do a bit more framing in the basement.  We came home and framed the doorway into the storage room at the bottom of the stairs and completed the wall under the stairs.  Now all the framing for the Theatre Room except the exterior wall is done.  Hopefully soon we will be able to do that exterior wall, get the electrical wired and finish off that room.  That would be so awesome.

After the work was done, we took the kids out to lunch and then we went bowling.  It was so much fun.  I wish I would have thought to take photos of the kids bowling.  I seem to forget that a lot these days.   I did catch a couple photos of our scores though.  Mike ended the second game with 5 strikes in a row.  unfortunately, I didn't get that score photographed before they turned off our monitors.  We all had a great time, we will have to do that again soon. 

 This past week, Ryan broke one of his fillings.  I don't knowh ow, probably grinding his teeth at night, but it was a good size piece that came out leaving a gaping whole in his tooth.  I took him back to the dentist and they elected to just extract it.  Apparently it wouldn't have been there too much longer anyway.  I was frustrated to be back at the dentist already after having such a good visit just a week and a half earlier, but what could we do.  They pulled his tooth and he is fine.

Kyle decided this month that he is going to exercise every day.  He made a list of the things he was going to do and has done it nearly every day since.  Here is his list and a couple of pics of him doing his "backward Sit-ups" as he calls them.  All I can say is this kids has a very strong back!!!


The other evening as I went to get Tiffany from school, I was backing out of the driveway and this is what I saw.  I had to stop and take a picture to send to my dad.
I have to tell you how many fond memories are associated with a scene like this.  Not only is it a beautiful site and evidence in my mind that there is a God and creator of this world, (for how else can something so beautiful come to be), but it brings back many memories of my father from my childhood.  You see if ever you asked my dad what his favorite color was, he always responded "sky blue orange."  To me that will always be a real color because my dad made it so.  When he saw a beautiful sunset, or even a sunrise, he would point it out to us and say, "look kids, sky blue orange".  I think of that everytime I blessed to see such a beautiful sight as the one above.  Thank you dad!!

So, things are going well.  We are all fairly healthy (though Kaylee and TIffany each missed a day of school recently for various reasons).  It has been a much healthier year for us this year than last year was. (knock on wood)  I sure hope it stays that way.

No comments:

Our Family in Pictures