It"s a Crazy Wonderful Life

This is a blog about my family and the crazy life in the Sims Household. We have 5 children, ranging from 14 to 5, and seem to be going in all different directions sometimes. The purpose of this blog is to help keep our friends and family up to date on what is going on in our lives.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Trip to Las Vegas

A little over a week ago, I got a phone call from Mike.  It was about 2:00 pm on  Friday March 4th afternoon.  He said "Do you want to go to Vegas this weekend for Hailey's blessing?"  I was shocked but of course I said "YES!".  Hailey is my baby brother Jeff's brand new baby girl.  I hadn't had the chance to see her other than in pictures and was so excited to get to go for the blessing.

It made for a crazy busy night though.  My flight was scheduled to leave at 8 am on Saturday morning and we had Ryan's birthday party with his friends scheduled for Friday night.  So I rushed around and got all my responsibilities for church on Sunday covered, did some laundry, packed and took care of Ryan's party.

I got up bright and early, before the sun actually, and headed to the airport in Denver.  I boarded the plane and was on my way.  I hadn't even told Jeff  and Erika I was coming.  I had talked to Steve who started working on some plans for all of us to get together for Saturday night.  (he did this carefully so as to not let Jeff know I would be there) and I talked to Kevin who offered to let me stay at his place and pick me up from the airport.  I was so excited.

My plan was to just show up on Jeff's doorstep to surprise him, but since he lives all the way across town and I didn't want to show up and him not be there, I decided to let him know I was there.  I texted him and asked what he was doing, he said not much and asked what I was doing.  I said "not much" and in the next text said "just sitting and visiting with Kevin and Cassie and the boys".  He said "You're in Vegas?"  and I said "yes."  He said it made him tearful to know I was there, and that made me so happy.  I know he was happy and excited I was able to make the trip. It wasn't long before he and Erika and my sweet little niece were over there too.  She is so beautiful and perfect and I hogged her as much as I could.

The next morning we all went to church.  It was so nice to have all of my brothers and their wives as well as my dad and his wife there.  It has been a long time since we were all in church together (except for all the funerals in the last few years).  Jeff pronounced a beautiful blessing on Hailey and christened her HAILEY SHIRLENE PIERCE.  They named her after mom.  That's very fitting since she is the first baby girl born since mom's passing (not to mention the first baby girl with the last name Pierce in our family in over 25 years)  Anyway, I know that mom was looking down on us that day, she was with us in spirit and was so proud of Jeff for being able to bless his baby girl, and she was probably beaming knowing that all her boys were in church.  I am sure she would like to see them there more often.

After church a few of us went back to Jeff and Erika's house for some lunch.  We had a great visit. It was a beautiful day.  I took some time to take a few photos of Hailey in her blessing dress.  Here they are.









 She is such a cutey and such a good baby.  Jeff and Erika are so lucky.  She has red hair and I can't help but wonder what color her eyes will be.

Well I visited with Steve and Bree, and Kevin and Cass and all the boys a bit more and then it was time to head back home.  It was a really quick two day trip, over one day and back the next, but it was so worth it to see the smile on Jeff's face when he saw that I really was there.

Many thanks to my wonderful husband for making it possible, and to his work travel that made the trip virtually free.

No comments:

Our Family in Pictures