It"s a Crazy Wonderful Life

This is a blog about my family and the crazy life in the Sims Household. We have 5 children, ranging from 14 to 5, and seem to be going in all different directions sometimes. The purpose of this blog is to help keep our friends and family up to date on what is going on in our lives.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Top 10 list for today

Yesterday was a fun day for me. I went to the orthopedic surgeon to talk about my options for treatment for my ulnar neuropathy. I have had numb fingers on my left hand for about 10 weeks now. I have seen 4 different doctors now about it with no relief or improvement. I have a compressed nerve in my elbow and can't really figure out what has caused it. We have tried several different treatments and therapies to no avail. One option is surgery to see if the compression can be relieved or to actually move the nerve from behind my elbow to inside the elbow. I don't know how excited I can be about surgery. Anyway, yesterday, he opted to put my arm in a cast from just below my shoulder to my knuckles. What fun!!! Well, it makes typing kind of awkward, so I am going to try to keep this short. Here is my list for today!!!

The top ten things you take for granted when you have full use of both arms. (what I have learned in just one day)

10- Driving (turning, and pulling into a parking spot are not easy to do with one elbow that doesn't bend)
9- Washing your hair (I managed ok with one hand, but I have a lot of hair, and it was not an easy task)
8- Pulling up your pants (again, I managed, but it takes much more effort one handed)
7- Making a PBJ sandwich (I can't hold the bread while I spread the peanut butter)
6- Putting on a shirt (straight arm through the sleeve, up over the head, then the other arm, almost like juggling)
5- Carrying the laundry basket (managed to balance on my hip and hold with the other hand, still not easy when fully loaded)
4- Folding the clothes (setting it on the bed and folding one handed takes so much longer)
3- Carrying a hot casserole dish to the table for dinner (next to impossible, thank goodness for older children who can help)
2- Styling your hair (I can't even put it in a pony tail yikes, what will I do now?)
1- Taking off (or putting on) your bra (I had to call Kaylee to help me last night as I was getting ready for bed, I never learned to do this one handed)

So there you have it. What I have learned in 24 hours not to take for granted when I get the full use of both arms back again. I am sure I will find more during the next 3 weeks, so I will add them to future posts. This is me.

1 comment:

Nigel Flannery Livingston said...

I got really good at taking bras off with one hand, but I refuse to come help you. Or teach you, for that matter.

And I laughed when I pictured you making a PB&J one-handed.

Our Family in Pictures