It"s a Crazy Wonderful Life

This is a blog about my family and the crazy life in the Sims Household. We have 5 children, ranging from 14 to 5, and seem to be going in all different directions sometimes. The purpose of this blog is to help keep our friends and family up to date on what is going on in our lives.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Off to Norway!!

Well, we are finally off to Norway. For those that don't know, my in-laws are on a mission for our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in Norway. They have been gone for 16 months and will be there for about 5 or 6 more months. They are working in the mission office in Oslo helping to take care of the many missionaries that are serving in that area.

Norway is my mother-in-law's homeland. She lived there until she was about 20 years old. She then left everything she knew and loved including all of her family to come to the United States where church members were more abundant. She wanted to be married in the temple and there were not many members in Norway to help make that a possibility. So she moved to Salt Lake City, Utah.

My father-in-law served his mission in Norway and the two actually met during that time. Though from what I have heard, they didn't get along well at all. They met again in Salt Lake where my FIL lived and the rest is history.

They have enjoyed their service in the homeland but have missed their family so much they wanted all the family to come and visit them while they are there. Most of Mike's family has already taken the opportunity to go over. I think all that is left is our family and Mike's oldest brother's family who will be there shortly after we leave.

We are so excited for this chance to visit another country and to learn about the culture that Bjorg knows so well. Most of my children have never even been on a plane so this will be quite an experience for all of us. We take off tomorrow and will have 16 hours of travel time with a lengthy layover in London, England. We will then spend 10 days touring Norway, however we have not yet made any real plans about what to do and when to do it. YIKES! We plan to see the sights, but also to have somewhat of a relaxing trip so we have decided to plan one day at a time. We have a short list of things we want to be sure to see and will make sure we do those things.

I am so excited to see this beautiful place. I posted a couple of pictures below as a preview, but I will have lots more pictures after our trip. If I get a chance, maybe I will post a bit while we are there, but don't be surprised if my blog is neglected for the next week and a half.

Thank You David and Bjorg for making this trip possible for us. You are the best.

No comments:

Our Family in Pictures