It"s a Crazy Wonderful Life

This is a blog about my family and the crazy life in the Sims Household. We have 5 children, ranging from 14 to 5, and seem to be going in all different directions sometimes. The purpose of this blog is to help keep our friends and family up to date on what is going on in our lives.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Cook Day

Getting back in the swing of things and trying to make my life easier, I have for the second time this year had friends over to do a big cook day. The last time I had four friends over and we spent 3 hours and each went home with 14 meals for the freezer. This time our group was for 3 families, though only two of us were here. (My friend Alyssa had surgery this week and couldn't participate, but Jenny and I made her meals for her). We assembled 18 meals for each family. I think I am getting the process pretty well perfected. It took us just over 3 hours today. Here is a picture of what that looks like just for 2 of the families.
That is actually 36 dinners in the pictures.
Today we made the following:
Stove Top Barbecue Chicken
Fiesta Taco Casserole
Chicken Cordon Blue and Noodle Casserole
Sweet & Sour Meatballs
Chicken Enchiladas
Rigatoni
Ham & Potatoes Au Gratin
Quick Pork Stir Fry
Shepherds' Pie
Sloppy Joes
Open Face Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Mock Enchiladas
Meatball Sandwiches
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Marinated Chicken Breasts
Marinated Pork Chops
Pork Roast
Costa Vida Pork Burritos
I have loved Once-a-Month cooking since I started doing it for my family about 6 years ago. But, I love doing it with my friends even more. This set of 18 meals ended up costing only $130 per family and I got to visit with a friend while I worked. That cost includes everything for the main dish, so we will have a bit more expense for the sides, breads, and salads depending on what we are having. I have found however if I can do this process for our meals it saves me a bunch of money on the overall food budget, but the best part is the savings of time. On a daily basis, we can have a home cooked meal and it only takes very minimal prep time. Yippee! It feels so good to have a freezer full of meals.
We are already going to start planning our next cook day in a little over a month. Perhaps we will try a few more meals the next time too, and I already have a 4th person to join us next time around as well. Yeah!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow, that's an awesome idea! My freezer is too small to do that right now but I'll definitely remember it for when I have my own home...I might have to ask you for some suggetions/recipes!

Our Family in Pictures